The commission comprises 12 members appointed by Cabinet and selected by agencies and organizations. The members of the Commission are drawn from the following bodies:
- Ministry of Public Health (MoPH)
- Ministry of Education (MoE)
- Ministry of Social Protection (MoSP)
- Department of Labour
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Guyana Human Rights Association (GHRA)
- Organized Labour
- Disabled People’s Organizations (DPOs)- three (3) members
- Experienced Care Giver of People with Disabilities (PWDs)
- The Private Sector
The Ministries of Health, Education, Labour and Social Protection are the lead Ministries responsible for promoting the rights of people with disabilities.
The Commissioners and the Chairperson are appointed by the Cabinet and all Commissioners, including the Chairperson, are volunteers. The Executive Secretary, who is accountable to the Commission and advises and makes recommendations to the Commission with regard to programming, is responsible for running the programs and has autonomy to make day-to-day decisions.