Functions and Roles
NCD has developed a Strategic Plan 2015-2019 which has general objectives and strategies of four program components as stated below:
- Capacity Building
- General Objective: Strengthen the capacities of women, men and children with disabilities and Disabled People’s Organizations (DPOs) to advocate for their rights and to effectively and efficiently manage their organizations.
- Advocacy for the Rights of Persons with Disabilities
- General Objective: Advocate for the respect, protection and fulfilment of the rights of women, men and children with disabilities.
- Monitoring and Compliance with Legislation
- General Objective: Ensure that the legislation is implemented as prescribed.
- Organizational Strengthening of NCD
- General Objective: Strengthen the capacity of the Commission to carry out its Mission.
The commission comprises 12 members appointed by Cabinet and selected by agencies and organizations. The members of the Commission are drawn from the following bodies:
- Ministry of Public Health (MoPH)
- Ministry of Education (MoE)
- Ministry of Social Protection (MoSP)
- Department of Labour
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Guyana Human Rights Association (GHRA)
- Organized Labour
- Disabled People’s Organizations (DPOs)- three (3) members
- Experienced Care Giver of People with Disabilities (PWDs)
- The Private Sector
The Ministries of Health, Education, Labour and Social Protection are the lead Ministries responsible for promoting the rights of people with disabilities.
The Commissioners and the Chairperson are appointed by the Cabinet and all Commissioners, including the Chairperson, are volunteers. The Executive Secretary, who is accountable to the Commission and advises and makes recommendations to the Commission with regard to programming, is responsible for running the programs and has autonomy to make day-to-day decisions.